Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

"The Smoking Tire" - VP100 ProTune

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I've had a couple shops with mustang dyno's say "we can make it read just like a dyno jet", but when they do that, it always makes me go, "I don't know about that guys", lol.

Mustang dyno's are better to tune on though. Dyno jet had me at 25.5psi when on the street I made 27.5psi on the same tune. The load is just different.

Of course.... Dyno jet is the industry/internet standard so we are kinda stuck with it, lol.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great numbers for sure!

I want to see what he can on E30 if not already done, please post if so, it would be a great comparison.

VP101, $9, at least lower cost than here, $10.49!

E30, $3.25 or so, use a bit more but a butt load cheaper to run:)

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #25
Great numbers for sure!

I want to see what he can on E30 if not already done, please post if so, it would be a great comparison.

I agree Rick...Using VP101 isn't very cost effective nor practical for folks like myself who primarily use our FiST as DD's....I do want to have Jon do an e20 tune for me...Not sure I want to add any more ethanol to the mix than that not knowing how robust our fuel system components actually are....Its also interesting to note when I was filling up the other day I noticed Ford posts a label around the fill spout that says "gasoline / e0 to e15"....So I'm "assuming" even upping the mix to say e20 is still within reason...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
My only experience with ethanol is just starting to happen so I do not know much yet about the best ratio to use, from what I have read E30 should be fine and mine will only be for track events once tuned I will just go back to 91 octane for the rest of the time.

One thing really important I learned is you cannot trust what the pump says unless you know for certain what that particular company, or maybe by state law requires to be the actual percentage, etc....

I here the only E85 is 100 miles away and they say right on the pump minimum is 70% so I called the company and asked and they said they are pretty careful about making sure it is right on the number.

Then 91 at least in the winter is "up to 10%" so I do not know what it really is.

If you can get it easily and run all the time maybe it is best to just run E20.

Just make sure you do whatever is needed to ensure you are tuned properly for the actual content.

If I were you, I would talk the the Cobb guy there and let him sort this out and tune for it:)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
We've seen video from a ford rep saying the fuel hardware is E85 capable, there just is not a calibration for it.

Most people think that around 96' all car from that point on have hardware capable of tolerating ethanol per federal regulations.

Eitherway, I don't think anyone will ever have an issue using E50 or lower.

Back in the day, we used to mix 1/3 Xylene into a tank of 93oct and we would add 1 cap full of marvel mystery oil to the tank to help lube the fuel pump. That's a car from 1987, and we never saw any issues.

There is a chance E20-E30 fuel will be the standard in the next 10 years, and I'm sure ford is aware of that.

The kind of power you can support on mixes above E40 with the stock fuel system is limited, so... Unless your using a bigger turbo or something, I'd do a E50, E30 E15 tune.

I have a friend that runs straight E85, and it works AWESOME, on a stock turbo. He just doesn't frequent the forums very much anymore do to way people bicker on the forums sometimes.

Anyway... If your engine tune is good, you are good :)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am using the same calculator:)

If they keep it true E85 and true E10 you are good to go but I would just make sure, if I had not read the pump I would of not realized it was really E70 though it said E85 on it, just a small label that said the real content.

Let us know how it goes with the tune!

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #29
I am using the same calculator:)

If they keep it true E85 and true E10 you are good to go but I would just make sure, if I had not read the pump I would of not realized it was really E70 though it said E85 on it, just a small label that said the real content.

Let us know how it goes with the tune!
Even if they did say switch up e85 to e70 at the pump during the winter.... Then 1gal e70 mixed with 6 gal (91/e10) would yield ~e19 (actually e18.6)...That is still fairly close to e20 which I would think should have no real impact on the recalibrated e20 stoich table values...

TheStig

Great numbers for sure!

Gnarly, i run Sunoco 110 leaded in my race quad and its only $8.50 per gallon at the pump across town.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Test strips, accurate and cheap, have to add a test port but that is not a big deal or that expensive....

Being off a little seems not to big a deal and the ECU can compensate a fair amount so just tuning at the ragged edge might be the main issue unless they really change the content, I have read some go as low as 50% in the winter and still label it E85 so best to know what they do where you are.

110 for $8.50 is a good deal:)

Back in 07 when I drove my highly modded Forester XT to MMP, 150 mile round trip, 28MPG on the road if cruising, 8 MPG on track, 4 sessions, fuel cost more than the track fees and that was only $6 for 100 octane back then.

Though a hassle for me in some ways that DIY E30 is what I am really liking but I will look into E20 as well, thanks for all the great posts!

Rick

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Best way to know what eth ratio you have is to test it when you buy it and not trust what the pump says as the eth can and will vary from 70% to 85% or better and the test tube testor I use only take a few minutes to get a reading why mess around with guessing.
This may help figure out adding to the tank and when you use straight 91 oct or E10 93/91 oct http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-36-e85

Attachments

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #36
The Zeitronix setup is also a good way to measure Ethanol content. Very popular amongst the Subaru crowd. Measures within 5%.

http://smyperformance.com/index.php/zeitronix-ethanol-content-analyzer-eca-2-e85.html
This is what I ordered a few days ago. I should have it this week or next.
Looking forward to hearing how this works for you...I've been following this "member's" posts closely on another forum where he outlines how to set this up and tune for it...

http://fiestast.net/threads/ethanol-percentage-hardware-project.1820/

http://fiestast.net/threads/configu...e-ethanol-percentages-via-map-switching.2034/

Looking forward to hearing how this works for you...I've been following this "member's" posts closely on another forum where he outlines how to set this up and tune for it...shame he's no longer with us on this forum :(

http://fiestast.net/threads/configu...e-ethanol-percentages-via-map-switching.2034/
Ive been keeping an eye on his progress as well and it definitely seems like he's on the right track. As with everything I'm sure he'll back it up with hard numbers and non subjective data. Something I feel this forum could use more of.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Looking forward to hearing how this works for you...I've been following this "member's" posts closely on another forum where he outlines how to set this up and tune for it...shame he's no longer with us on this forum :(

I've also been keeping up with his progress. A ton of good information in those posts.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Its an awesome setup, and I'm putting it on my list. But lets not forget its $320 BEFORE YOU BUY THE FIRST GAL OF FUEL.

$320 is a lot of coin to me