Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

"The Smoking Tire" - VP100 ProTune

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Its an awesome setup, and I'm putting it on my list. But lets not forget its $320 BEFORE YOU BUY THE FIRST GAL OF FUEL.

$320 is a lot of coin to me
True, it is definitely not cheap and actually most places sell this kit for $379 which is the manufacturer's price.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread cleaned per OP's Request
all posts off topic where moved here I did best I could on 4 hours of sleep in the last 2 days sorry in advance if I missed a post or two in proper placement..
LINKY

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
No-go on the cyborg :(
They paid cobb $0 and as much as I'd love to, $0 on a turbo setup isn't in my budget. Plus they are trying to keep the warranty and i can respect that.

Also. These numbers were made on stock boost levels. 21psi per TST themselves. From the first dyno to this one the boost has not changed. 191whp to 240whp on just intake, tbe, intercooler, 100oct and a tune. I'm supremely impressed by the talent in the dyno shop at cobb.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
No-go on the cyborg :(
They paid cobb $0 and as much as I'd love to, $0 on a turbo setup isn't in my budget. Plus they are trying to keep the warranty and i can respect that.

Also. These numbers were made on stock boost levels. 21psi per TST themselves. From the first dyno to this one the boost has not changed. 191whp to 240whp on just intake, tbe, intercooler, 100oct and a tune. I'm supremely impressed by the talent in the dyno shop at cobb.
Damn, that is mighty impressive

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #45
It wouldn't be the first time Matt got the information wrong...LOL

Also if you like I can give you Jon's email and you can contact him directly to confirm rather than continue to question the integrity of his tuning and numbers reported....

sent you a PM with contact his info

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I know. I should have kept the stock turbo and just changed my dyno settings. Way easier.
This car making 240whp on 21psi on a stock turbo is so stupid, I can't even be sarcastic about it, and I'm ALWAYS sarcastic !! Lol. ATP's big turbo (GT) + stage 3 car didn't make that kind of lower per psi, lol.

Matt could take it to another DYNO JET or even better take it to the drag strip on street tires. But they are not interested in that, and I don't blame TST. The car is tuned safely ( obviously ) and its powerful ( like any stage3 fist ), so for them, what's the point?

Its one thing to have a dyno issue or what ever. Its another thing entirely to have an issue, then pass un-realistic results onto the masses. Which is why I used a 3rd party dyno ( I actually have a friend with a mustang dyno I can get on for free if I wanted ).

It seems only cobb cars on a cobbs dyno with cobbs tune can make magical amazing numbers where torque increases by 50 ft lbs at 3000rpm without raising the boost lmao.

Who ever can take that as an insult, but that's what I'm being asked to believe ( as are all of you ). I'm just stating the facts.

I've been as transparent as I could be threw all my results and put through more than my fair share of questioning. Cobb should be open to that same discussion. If you want to know how bad this looks, I got an email from "he who will not be mentioned" agreeing with me !!! Imagine that... We agree on something.

Doesn't change that I love cobb's software. Doesn't change that TST has one awesome car on a great tune ( what ever it may or may not be ), but it does show that these dyno's are purely meant for entertainment purposes only.
+rep for this post!

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I just sent a message off to Jon (tuner) at Cobb to verify that the boost levels for the VP101 tune were indeed the same as stock...It wouldn't be the first time Matt got the information wrong...LOL

Also if you like I can give you Jon's email and you can contact him directly to confirm rather than continue to question the integrity of his tuning and numbers reported....

sent you a PM with contact his info
Even if he cranked the boost up the Turbo does not make enough cfm to support those numbers. Do you realize thats almost 260ish whp on a dynojet?

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Do you have any additional information I could review to support this?
YEs. My DSM Dynoed 225whp on a mustang. Went to a dynojet and made 255. Only 4 days a part with same temps. Crazy and well known fact. Dont take this personal as I see you have a tune from Cobb Socal.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/641022-mustang-dyno-vs-dynojet.html
How about some datalogs? How about some V-dynos. How about some track times.
TST is the only stg3 cobb fist with a cobb tune in So cal ?

They dyno tuned it without datalogs ?

It really looks like they dyno'd a 1.6L fist, then installed a 1.8L, then a 2.0L, only... If they did that, the result would still be the same limit on the topend, not 30whp then 30whp again.
Exactly. this turbo is maxed right from the factory. I didnt even see that kind of jump on my EVO8

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #51
I just recieved an email message back from Jon clarifying the max boost levels setup on the FiST Protune 100....

"I think he (Matt) misspoke, it was right about 24psi. Most of the gains were made by timing. In fact since the FiST is dynamic it picked up about 10whp and 10 ftlbs from just the fuel alone even before any changes were made to the tune."

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I just recieved an email message back from Jon (Cobb SoCal tuner) clarifying the max boost levels setup on the FiST Protune 100 and some additional info....

"I think he (Matt) misspoke, it was right about 24psi. Most of the gains were made by timing. In fact since the FiST is dynamic it picked up about 10whp and 10 ftlbs from just the fuel alone with out any changes to the tune."
Uhmmmm that just doesnt sound right. he picked up that much evenly throughout the curve?

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Hate to get dense... But stock cobb stg3 tune can run in the 13degree area without modding the tables. The timing is done around 17-18degrees even on E30. Just no more power to be had in timing. So in 5 degrees of timing they went from 191whp to 217whp to 240whp. Call it 50whp from 5 degrees on a car with a maxed out turbo. I saw a pro-50 100mm turbo 360ci V8 do something like that one time, but a 1.6L on a maxed out turbo??

I'm being "he shall not be mentioned" now, so i'll stop. But raw datalogs with real meaning for values would be the first step to make me rethink my opinion. A 3rd party dyno jet would def get me 70% there. A 1/4mile time slip that says 106mph with a 2.1 or appox equal 60ft time would make me leave town and never return. But I realize all of which are unlikely to happen.
Everytime you say that I think of "The Village" LOL. That being said you are absolutely correct on timing. You can only gain so much on a maxed turbo and 30whp on timing isnt gonna do it.

Sorry for the slow response on this, it's always busy at the end of the year and we have our annual holiday break from the 24th through the 2nd.

The dyno runs have not been adjusted to make them seem more awesomer for video. The delta gains are in line with other high octane fuel tuning. With any dyno plot, looking at the gains is much more important than looking at the peak numbers. With 100 octane fuel, timing can be increased quite a bit along with boost. I'll ask our SoCal calibrator if he has some logs to post. In general, we would have nothing to gain by posting false dyno plots. If a customer came knocking on SoCal's door wanting the same results, they would have to deliver. I think it's been proven on multiple occasions that some vocal posters in this forum don't have the experience our company does with direct injected turbocharged vehicles. We've always supported the FiST community and will continue to do so, so please just play nice guys.

Ian

So can we get this vp101 tune with the purchase of the stage 3?
Aggressive tunes like TST's on high octane fuel are best done by custom tuning in the dyno to account for specific fuel quality, local atmospheric conditions, and small vehicle "quirks". We have a whole list of Protuners on our website and that sponsor this forum you can get a custom map made from.

Ian

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thanks for taking the Time to clear that up Ian I know this time of year is Krazy .. Hope you guys have a great 2015 also... ;)

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Sorry for the slow response on this, it's always busy at the end of the year and we have our annual holiday break from the 24th through the 2nd.

The dyno runs have not been adjusted to make them seem more awesomer for video. The delta gains are in line with other high octane fuel tuning. With any dyno plot, looking at the gains is much more important than looking at the peak numbers. With 100 octane fuel, timing can be increased quite a bit along with boost. I'll ask our SoCal calibrator if he has some logs to post. In general, we would have nothing to gain by posting false dyno plots. If a customer came knocking on SoCal's door wanting the same results, they would have to deliver. I think it's been proven on multiple occasions that some vocal posters in this forum don't have the experience our company does with direct injected turbocharged vehicles. We've always supported the FiST community and will continue to do so, so please just play nice guys.

Ian
Sweet. So post up some logs. Thats the point. Its easy to manipulate a dyno. Ive seen e85 numbers not even get close to the number yall are claiming with 100oct. I dont consider 100 oct race fuel by any means. Thats the point though, the gains yall see are from 2000 rpm to redline with no drop off lol. Also, track numbers wont lie. Id like to eat my words but I dont think that is going to happen. I have full stage 3 with a catless DP which has been shown to make more hp/tq then the catted version. That being said IDK how yall are making 240whp on a catted DP with 100 with just "timing changes". These numbers are on a mustang dyno no less. That means on a dynojet you should be seeing damn near 260whp!!! Most of the people on here are getting 210-215 on a dynojet!

If you guys check out Cobb's dyno database there is another stage 3 that got a pro tune and made some great improvements (no mention of 93 vs 100)

So its not all smoke and mirrors :) but The Smoking Tire car sure does seem to have the highest dyno's at every point it has been measured (stock, stage 1, 3, 3+)

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
If this car made that much and can be proved. Ill drive from Oklahoma to SoCal to get my car tuned and say sorry in person.