Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I was able to figure out how the BOV routes to the MAP sensor. Now I just need to sort out how to preload a wastegate and I think we'll be ready to install.
View attachment 59444
preload should be 4mm. You are basically shooting for 14lbs or above for your base tuning map. From there your tuner will due revsions based off your datalogs. which are pulls with the AP in datalogging mode from 25000 rpm to redline flat footed no let up. 3rd gear is probably best because if you do it in 4th you should be in Mexico.

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I was able to figure out how the BOV routes to the MAP sensor. Now I just need to sort out how to preload a wastegate and I think we'll be ready to install.
View attachment 59444
Easiest thing with the wastegate is to set it at 2-3mm then push some compressed air into the vacuum line that connects it to the solenoid. Way easier to line up. You can also pull/pry it on but that’s hard af

I just did all this on Saturday to my car and setting up the 14psi waste gate was not difficult at all and didn't need compressed air. The install was REALLY straight forward. Power tools are helpful and we had a lift so we did some from the bottom and most from the top. MM's all around, Trans fluid swap and we are set till spring (after tuning). Car is insane.
Took us about 8 hours with an hour lunch and an awful lot of standing around BS'ing. We did get 2 lines crossed on the turbo and were seeing boost at 30psi. Small panic but we got it figured out and set right. Car flys.

GeorgiaFiesta

Premium Account
Easiest thing with the wastegate is to set it at 2-3mm then push some compressed air into the vacuum line that connects it to the solenoid. Way easier to line up. You can also pull/pry it on but that’s hard af
This is my plan, set the wastegate rod at the correct length and then use compressed air.

Definitely living with zero traction till third now, turns out narrow Blizzaks are not as grippy in the wet as wide(ish) RT660s are in the dry. Crazy concept. Given I still need a set of tires that can handle snow and ice on top of our yearly rainfall, anyone using something I don't know of that do better? I've got a Wavetrac LSD waiting to go in too for whenever I either build the courage to try the install myself (Having never done transmission work and having no friends to help) or pony up for a Clarke transmission, but I gather that would only help so much.

Obviously I can just drive more conservatively but where's the fun in that? S280 is definitely one of the best things I've ever done on a car, though it does make me possibly drive faster than I should everywhere because it just want to do it all the time. If you're sitting debating if it's worth it, this is a glowing endorsement from me after having it on for a while. And I went through a serious internal crisis for a couple months about it too. Turns out I was just not driving it like I should and got in my own head lmao

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Definitely living with zero traction till third now, turns out narrow Blizzaks are not as grippy in the wet as wide(ish) RT660s are in the dry. Crazy concept. Given I still need a set of tires that can handle snow and ice on top of our yearly rainfall, anyone using something I don't know of that do better? I've got a Wavetrac LSD waiting to go in too for whenever I either build the courage to try the install myself (Having never done transmission work and having no friends to help) or pony up for a Clarke transmission, but I gather that would only help so much.

Obviously I can just drive more conservatively but where's the fun in that? S280 is definitely one of the best things I've ever done on a car, though it does make me possibly drive faster than I should everywhere because it just want to do it all the time. If you're sitting debating if it's worth it, this is a glowing endorsement from me after having it on for a while. And I went through a serious internal crisis for a couple months about it too. Turns out I was just not driving it like I should and got in my own head lmao
Oh ya I drive my car like I stole it all over with the S280. FWIW I just put on a set of Contimental Contact Extreme Sport 02’s for wet weather driving 205/45/16. I like them. Heh even though as of tomorrow I may be in possesion of a Heavy Metal Premium GR Corolla . AWD for the ultimate inclement weather driving.

Oh ya I drive my car like I stole it all over with the S280. FWIW I just put on a set of Contimental Contact Extreme Sport 02’s for wet weather driving 205/45/16. I like them. Heh even though as of tomorrow I may be in possesion of a Heavy Metal Premium GR Corolla . AWD for the ultimate inclement weather driving.
I lost any real interest I had in AWD because of this car lol, with Blizzaks it crushes snow and ice like nothing. But Blizzaks aren't the best outside of the snow (Though they are fine, and did me well even driving the piss out of the car on the stocker) especially in like a 185/65R15 and now I can spin my wheels all the way into third and have barely hit 60 lmao, so I'm definitely looking at my options. Not willing to take on a third set of tires especially since I'm debating a track specific set at some point but I'm also wary of losing my snow performance because I go snowboarding twice a week pretty much regardless of the conditions and that confidence is what I really, really want when it turns into whiteout blizzard conditions or everything freezes overnight. I'm thinking of ditching the 15s at least, the steelies are getting pretty rough, so I'd be down to try a 215/45R16 like I run in RT660s but I can't imagine I'd earn a ton more grip in the wet either.

Aren't those Contis still UHP summers? Kind of a no go around here, you're lucky to have a 50 degree day in the winter even down here and obviously it gets pretty cold where snowboarding is lol. I don't think an all season like DWS06+ would cut it either, maybe just in the cool and wet but not cold and ice

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I lost any real interest I had in AWD because of this car lol, with Blizzaks it crushes snow and ice like nothing. But Blizzaks aren't the best outside of the snow (Though they are fine, and did me well even driving the piss out of the car on the stocker) especially in like a 185/65R15 and now I can spin my wheels all the way into third and have barely hit 60 lmao, so I'm definitely looking at my options. Not willing to take on a third set of tires especially since I'm debating a track specific set at some point but I'm also wary of losing my snow performance because I go snowboarding twice a week pretty much regardless of the conditions and that confidence is what I really, really want when it turns into whiteout blizzard conditions or everything freezes overnight. I'm thinking of ditching the 15s at least, the steelies are getting pretty rough, so I'd be down to try a 215/45R16 like I run in RT660s but I can't imagine I'd earn a ton more grip in the wet either.

Aren't those Contis still UHP summers? Kind of a no go around here, you're lucky to have a 50 degree day in the winter even down here and obviously it gets pretty cold where snowboarding is lol. I don't think an all season like DWS06+ would cut it either, maybe just in the cool and wet but not cold and ice
Ya never had a AWD did not think I wanted one but when I started looking around and test drove a GRC I was like ok I could see this as my new daily. I love driving my FiST but I am not sure I want to drive it everyday anymore. Thats where the GRC comes in. Though the Extreme Sport 02 are listed on Tire rack as kind of a DW06 replacement they were rated 8.9 for handling in the rain,not too shabby. When I mentioned them to the guys at R Compund USA they were like ya we like those tires a lot good choice for rainy weather.

Ya never had a AWD did not think I wanted one but when I started looking around and test drove a GRC I was like ok I could see this as my new daily. I love driving my FiST but I am not sure I want to drive it everyday anymore. Thats where the GRC comes in. Though the Extreme Sport 02 are listed on Tire rack as kind of a DW06 replacement they were rated 8.9 for handling in the rain,not too shabby. When I mentioned them to the guys at R Compund USA they were like ya we like those tires a lot good choice for rainy weather.
Yeah, I saw they have good ratings for in the wet. I'm sure temperature is far less of an issue in LA than it is up here, which is unfortunately what dictates why most people either use all seasons year round or switch to a winter set (be the AS or true winters) when the weather turns. Which sucks because I'm accustomed to that 200TW life and want it back, but I also value not crashing in the rain.

I drove a GRC and personally the experience completely sold me that I did not want one, but I had the same experience in a FoRS. Just too muted and heavy for my liking, turns out . The FoRS I'm kind of willing to chalk up to the dealer getting cold feet and only deciding he was going to only let me drive it with him in the car, nothing above 2500 and while constantly talking up stuff like the clutch as though I didn't just drive there in a FiST lmao. But my feelings on that I've seen elsewhere so I probably still got my right idea. My roommate who also drove both and drives a Veloster N just drove the GR Yaris while in Japan and seemed to like the Yaris by a wide margin and that I'd probably like it more. Of course that doesn't matter for the next 25 years in which case I'll have been sent to go fight in the water wars or something and not have made it home

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yeah, I saw they have good ratings for in the wet. I'm sure temperature is far less of an issue in LA than it is up here, which is unfortunately what dictates why most people either use all seasons year round or switch to a winter set (be the AS or true winters) when the weather turns. Which sucks because I'm accustomed to that 200TW life and want it back, but I also value not crashing in the rain.

I drove a GRC and personally the experience completely sold me that I did not want one, but I had the same experience in a FoRS. Just too muted and heavy for my liking, turns out . The FoRS I'm kind of willing to chalk up to the dealer getting cold feet and only deciding he was going to only let me drive it with him in the car, nothing above 2500 and while constantly talking up stuff like the clutch as though I didn't just drive there in a FiST lmao. But my feelings on that I've seen elsewhere so I probably still got my right idea. My roommate who also drove both and drives a Veloster N just drove the GR Yaris while in Japan and seemed to like the Yaris by a wide margin and that I'd probably like it more. Of course that doesn't matter for the next 25 years in which case I'll have been sent to go fight in the water wars or something and not have made it home
Interesting as when I drove the GRC it felt totally familiar . I felt it drove nimble it did not drive its weight so to speak but drove like a lighter car. It had nice get up and go and I could get it in and just drive it hard from the get go. Not all cars give you that, the FiST did. The FoST just felt larger and had too much TQ steer. The FoRS looked interesting but got milked price wise and had a lot of issues initially that got sorted but by the time it did Ford had started their abandonment program. I.E. since we are phasing out the cars we will start phasing out parts. That is what finally this year started me looking at other cars.
So… Never drove a FoRS but a lot of former FoRS owners have picked up GRC’s. So ya not saying the FiST might feel a bit smaller and nimble but I have driven the FiST for 5 year now. The GRC definitely felt fun and this was just running it around the streets of Glendale and Hollywood lol.

Interesting as when I drove the GRC it felt totally familiar . I felt it drove nimble it did not drive its weight so to speak but drove like a lighter car. It had nice get up and go and I could get it in and just drive it hard from the get go. Not all cars give you that, the FiST did. The FoST just felt larger and had too much TQ steer. The FoRS looked interesting but got milked price wise and had a lot of issues initially that got sorted but by the time it did Ford had started their abandonment program. I.E. since we are phasing out the cars we will start phasing out parts. That is what finally this year started me looking at other cars.
So… Never drove a FoRS but a lot of former FoRS owners have picked up GRC’s. So ya not saying the FiST might feel a bit smaller and nimble but I have driven the FiST for 5 year now. The GRC definitely felt fun and this was just running it around the streets of Glendale and Hollywood lol.
Different strokes I suppose, I can't deny that it's a nice car but it isn't for me. Whatever I get next will probably be RWD, two door and old. The Fiesta is here to stay as a daily till it probably inevitably is in an accident where I fully intend to turn it into a track car

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Different strokes I suppose, I can't deny that it's a nice car but it isn't for me. Whatever I get next will probably be RWD, two door and old. The Fiesta is here to stay as a daily till it probably inevitably is in an accident where I fully intend to turn it into a track car
I dig that but see I have a dope RWD car in my E36 M3 and if I do sell it I will replace with an even doper one most likely a. Lotus Emira . Besides picking up another Vintage 240z.

I dig that but see I have a dope RWD car in my E36 M3 and if I do sell it I will replace with an even doper one most likely a. Lotus Emira . Besides picking up another Vintage 240z.
If an Exige for a good price came my way, I'd sell a bunch of stuff I said I wouldn't sell lol. No questions asked there. I'd love a 240-280Z too but around here they're pretty rough for the price, gonna probably have to travel for one

Turbo E36 M3, or one with an S54 swap. Either would be a riot. Still like mine, but slow compared to most stuff now in a straight. Still really good in the turns, but my RS will leave it like a cheap date...

You have to drive an RS hard, in a simialr manner to a rwd car, to really experience what it can do. It's wildly capable even stock. Mine has the front lsd too, so def helps in tighter stuff. I didn't like it initially until I figured that out.

Finally plugged my logs into Vdyno, so for anyone out there curious about the S280 with a stock intake, filter and fueling on 92 the numbers I got peak at 255 whp. I'll take some logs in hopefully similar conditions whenever I get around to upgrading my intake. Debating sacrificing my stock intake to try the holes method as I'm not sure I've ever seen numbers on it (Both with and without a filter replacement, I couldn't decide which one to use, hence the stock filter)
1703134273492.png

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Finally plugged my logs into Vdyno, so for anyone out there curious about the S280 with a stock intake, filter and fueling on 92 the numbers I got peak at 255 whp. I'll take some logs in hopefully similar conditions whenever I get around to upgrading my intake. Debating sacrificing my stock intake to try the holes method as I'm not sure I've ever seen numbers on it (Both with and without a filter replacement, I couldn't decide which one to use, hence the stock filter)
View attachment 59485
who are you tuning with? You should be seeing better numbers than 255 . I did 284 whp and 284wtq on 91. I am tuned by Tune+. Your car weight is off it’s a 2750lb not 2700.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
View attachment 59485
and add your weight. Also if you havent check your actual tire diameter. It may not be the same as the default and does make a difference. Also most people use smoothing 2 or 3

who are you tuning with? You should be seeing better numbers than 255 . I did 284 whp and 284wtq on 91. I am tuned by Tune+. Your car weight is off it’s a 2750lb not 2700.
and add your weight. Also if you havent check your actual tire diameter. It may not be the same as the default and does make a difference. Also most people use smoothing 2 or 3
Adjusted with my weight and true tire size (~23" vs 23.5") with the same smoothing it peaks at 268. Smoothing 2 is 264 and 3 is 261. I'm tuned through Dizzy. The horsepower loss could easily be from a stock intake and stock panel filter, it's untouched

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Adjusted with my weight and true tire size (~23" vs 23.5") with the same smoothing it peaks at 268. Smoothing 2 is 264 and 3 is 261. I'm tuned through Dizzy. The horsepower loss could easily be from a stock intake and stock panel filter, it's untouched
The other thing to consider is that is whp.