DHM Race Crash Bar and Intercooler!

Trader history for DHM (0)

Member ID
hmmm hole saw...interesting...less mess and faster...hmmmmmmmm [scratch]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Holy cow, I bet it would cost $400 for shipping and would prob be broken when it got here, lol

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Member ID
And it horrible for what we need, net loss if proper flow of air where needed like to the radiator, to wide for the IC, huge holes on the sides with nothing there to cool....rice......:(

LT Berzerker

Member ID
If it were not fiberglass.... Might almost be better to run a sealed duct from the back side of the radiator up to the hood... Not even sure that would work :/

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Member ID
Not enough room or I would of already done it:(

A partial one could be done but not really worth from what I can tell so I am just venting the hood and opened up the grill.

I am holding off on venting the hood until I get more track time with all the other mods to make sure I need to as I like a more stealthy look on the street.

OP
DHM1

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #108
Data is looking great! I will have some really good info soon! So far our intercooler keeps the air going into the engine at only 16deg about the air going into the turbo!

Russ

Member ID
I'm new to turbo theory, much less very small factory hot rod turbos. If the Fist turbo is running out of air at higher rpms and the computer is pulling back boost, how will the volume of a large intercooler work with the stock turbo like Sourskittle says it will? Just trying to learn.

LT Berzerker

Member ID
Tune combined with lower charge temps (direct result of a better intercooler) equates to more oxygen in the charge & better air viscosity which also allows for more timing advancement (to my meager understanding of ecoboost engines)... Result more powerrrrrr

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
In general, its as simple as colder air makes more power. The more you push a turbo that is "too small", the more heat produces. The more heat it pumps out, the less power you make.... The intercooler is what is standing in the way. The intercooler will, at some point, not be enough to cool the extra hot temps the turbo is kicking out. Unless......... Its huge. Lol.

Member ID
Cooler temps = more timing/dense air/more power, obviously. However,I thought the stock turbo was running out of wind, regardless of added timing, etc. Looking forward to DHM testing this intercooler compared to what looks like an ATP intercooler in the pics.

Member ID
So after showing this setup a good friend that has had lots of turbo cars, he said that going to a huge intercooler like this will increase turbo lag because it takes extra time for the IC to fill with air. Any truth to this?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Member ID
So after showing this setup a good friend that has had lots of turbo cars, he said that going to a huge intercooler like this will increase turbo lag because it takes extra time for the IC to fill with air. Any truth to this?
No. Its virtually impossible to increase turbo lag on the stock turbo ( if 29.5psi at 2850rpms is lag, then you may need a V12 truck engine ). Now... If this were a realistically sized turbo from the factory ( say... K04 ) and you went from our stock cooler to Deadhooks, then you may see a slight bit increase in lag ( but it would still be crazy worth it ), but with our stock turbo, ford pretty much has the car fighting as hard as it can to CREATE lag on purpose. The reason for this is many ( longer driveline life, tire life, fuel economy, emissions, engine/rod life, octane limits, drivability as far as smoothness).

Most people not used to the insane "mis-match" involved with a turbo this small will say things like that. Even if you read some old school turbo books, it will say the samething. But in this application, almost no intercooler is too big. The little stock turbo just pumps out so much heat, and it spools so hard, so fast, that even if it did increase lag, it would worth it ( which it won't ).

I went through the same thing with my equally mis-matched stock turbo on my srt4. I had the same idea as your friend. I was looking at installing a 32x24x4 intercooler on my srt4 ( which is huge ). After I bit the bullet and did it, I was pretty upset that i had been mis-lead by these old school books, and even people posting on the forum posting the same info. Now.... Almost ever srt4 ever has a huge cooler in the front of it. They even did an intercooler comparison that showed the huge ebay coolers beating the pants off smaller high dollar coolers. If you want to dig through it, i posted a bunch of info on this in 2J's race intake thread ( I don't have the time to find it ).

Bottom line is... No, lol. Not the case on this car and this turbo. And if you have a bigger turbo, your already making most your power in the topend, so either way, a giant cooler is the only way to fly.

Member ID
No. Its virtually impossible to increase turbo lag on the stock turbo ( if 29.5psi at 2850rpms is lag, then you may need a V12 truck engine ). Now... If this were a realistically sized turbo from the factory ( say... K04 ) and you went from our stock cooler to Deadhooks, then you may see a slight bit increase in lag ( but it would still be crazy worth it ), but with our stock turbo, ford pretty much has the car fighting as hard as it can to CREATE lag on purpose. The reason for this is many ( longer driveline life, tire life, fuel economy, emissions, engine/rod life, octane limits, drivability as far as smoothness).

Most people not used to the insane "mis-match" involved with a turbo this small will say things like that. Even if you read some old school turbo books, it will say the samething. But in this application, almost no intercooler is too big. The little stock turbo just pumps out so much heat, and it spools so hard, so fast, that even if it did increase lag, it would worth it ( which it won't ).

I went through the same thing with my equally mis-matched stock turbo on my srt4. I had the same idea as your friend. I was looking at installing a 32x24x4 intercooler on my srt4 ( which is huge ). After I bit the bullet and did it, I was pretty upset that i had been mis-lead by these old school books, and even people posting on the forum posting the same info. Now.... Almost ever srt4 ever has a huge cooler in the front of it. They even did an intercooler comparison that showed the huge ebay coolers beating the pants off smaller high dollar coolers. If you want to dig through it, i posted a bunch of info on this in 2J's race intake thread ( I don't have the time to find it ).

Bottom line is... No, lol. Not the case on this car and this turbo. And if you have a bigger turbo, your already making most your power in the topend, so either way, a giant cooler is the only way to fly.
Thanks for taking the time to reply! This is pretty much what I was trying to say to him but didn't want to listen. Now to see how I can stretch my car parts budget....

Member ID
Any idea on when this may be out? I still have a CEL from the downpipe and would like to go to stage 3 very soon especially since the friday night drags start soon.

OP
DHM1

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #120
Any idea on when this may be out? I still have a CEL from the downpipe and would like to go to stage 3 very soon especially since the friday night drags start soon.
We are taking order for the first batch still! I have one kit left please pm us or email!

Russell@deadhookmotorsports.com

Thank you

Russ