Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Winter Tires, Lets hear what you think

My issue is I'm in central AL. Lucky to get snowfall once a year, I picked up some 15s locally. Need tires, so i was considering a winter set up, since summer tires are a no go below 50*, Am I waiting money on them, and could it be better served on nice all seasons?
If you are in AL and have 1% worry of snow I would just run whatever awesome summer shit you want and take my chances a couple times every couple years you get slush or whatever. Summers in snow/slush are bad for sure but they can be managed for a day or two to get to work and back etc.

All seasons are the least of all worlds. It's the biggest compromise out there in rubber. IMO the Pilot Sport A/S my car came with is about as good it gets for A/S and they are mediocre at best on dry pavement and I am pretty sure they will be terrible in an ND winter.

If you are going to pound gravel and camp and fish all summer then some smaller 15-16 all seasons snows may be worth it to you but they will relatively suck on the road when the weather is good. Wear fast, have poor grip, feel squirmy etc. This car has grip, borderline spectacular chassis tuning stock, make the most of it with good summer tire choice if you can.

I live in ND, I need garbage tires that work great in snow to get me through the winter safely. Some winters they are only useful a few times.

2 sets of wheels and tires if you really need them, snows and summers. Otherwise one set, and the best summer shit you can research up for your use. All season is all nothing.

IMO of course.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you are in AL and have 1% worry of snow I would just run whatever awesome summer shit you want and take my chances a couple times every couple years you get slush or whatever. Summers in snow/slush are bad for sure but they can be managed for a day or two to get to work and back etc.

All seasons are the least of all worlds. It's the biggest compromise out there in rubber. IMO the Pilot Sport A/S my car came with is about as good it gets for A/S and they are mediocre at best on dry pavement and I am pretty sure they will be terrible in an ND winter.

If you are going to pound gravel and camp and fish all summer then some smaller 15-16 all seasons snows may be worth it to you but they will relatively suck on the road when the weather is good. Wear fast, have poor grip, feel squirmy etc. This car has grip, borderline spectacular chassis tuning stock, make the most of it with good summer tire choice if you can.

I live in ND, I need garbage tires that work great in snow to get me through the winter safely. Some winters they are only useful a few times.

2 sets of wheels and tires if you really need them, snows and summers. Otherwise one set, and the best summer shit you can research up for your use. All season is all nothing.

IMO of course.
You my fellow FiSTer will want winter tires....TRUST ME

Jerickson88

IMO of course.
Yeah that was kind of my point. We have temps in the 70s at Christmas sometimes. Of course it has been snowmageddon for a week as well. We have had it in the 20's in October, and snow at the end of April and toss down over a foot. We are due for a good snow.

I have 595 RS-RR now, awesome tire. Looking to change up the pace and save some life and get more than a year out of a set.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^My RS-RRs will NOT ever go on the car until even the night time lows STAY above 50*-55* F!!!
I would never even dream (or have a nightmare) about using them in even an effing millimeter of actual snow!

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Ok so my travels are at least 28 a day on mostly cold roads with some snowfall. And only getting bad storms maybe 4 times a year tops.

I have my pick of wheel size from 15" steelies to my factory 17"s. What tire would you reccomend. I dont need anything all out crazy as i learned my car is not the best ice racer. ( frustrating considering my old zx3 did amazing at it)

Jerickson88

^^^My RS-RRs will NOT ever go on the car until even the night time lows STAY above 50*-55* F!!!
I would never even dream (or have a nightmare) about using them in even an effing millimeter of actual snow!

They would be death wings. I'm gonna get those winter forces and use October to March I think. Why not. They cant be any louder than these RR'S!

Hell, I have RR's and Roof Rack right now.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They would be death wings. I'm gonna get those winter forces and use October to March I think. Why not. They cant be any louder than these RR'S!

Hell, I have RR's and Roof Rack right now.
Actually, my Altimax Arctic 12 winters are DEAD silent as compared to the RS-RRs. [wink] [thumb]

I will be reusing my Hakkapeliitta r's that I had on my last car and really loved them in the snow slush and ice.. they did well on the lake too (frozen of course)
I used Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9s last winter and they worked perfectly on my stock wheels. They are like glue on ice and snow. I have a set of these with one season of wear for anyone who is looking for some.

Tirerack has some good closeouts on a few different snows in the 185/60/15 size. I ordered WS80's and they should be here tomorrow. $375 shipped is a really good deal for that tire.

Now just need to find a set of cheap used OEM alloys or steelies.

Good morning folks,

QQ is it the general consensus that a 15" wheel will fit as long as it is correct PCD / CentreBore / Offset? I realise it's going to be fairly tight clearance but there are no other gotchas to look for?

Thanks,

Patrick

I run Champiro Ice Pros on 15s

Been running those since November 2014 and stand by them.

Thanks - winter in the UK is an odd thing, we can have 16 degrees C one day and -4 the next. Sometimes ice, sometimes not ... occasional snow, sometimes really bad but the worst thing is the damned salt on the roads, that and potholes. I'd rather scuff up a set of bouncy 15s then wreck the nice summer wheels. Plus you get less wear and tear to the suspension and a better ride when you've got some profile between you and the road.

One set of Calibre Neo matt black, 15", Yokohama W Drive 902B tyres, 4 new TPMS valves inc fitting of that and delivery - £595 ( shade over 720USD) . Can't grumble at that. Means i can come back from holiday at the end of September and go straight to those and refurb the factory 17s and get them reshod with Michelin PS4 ready for the summer.

That is the 15" wheels and they fit nicely on my car. Happy with how it looks. Sits a bit high as it was just one wheel and i didn't bother to move it, trial fit only. Caliper clearance is absolutely fine.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey I had a question. I bought my 2016 FiST in March from Ford and even before I could drive it off the lot I had to buy 15" winter tires because the Potenzas did not like the lovely Alberta March weather. I have just put them back on a week ago but got a TPMS not detected warning, so went to kal-tire to get them re-paired. But now I'm getting low pressure warnings despite topping them up? The 15" tires are supposed to be 32psi while the 17" Potenzas are 39/36psi, so did Kal-tire set it wrong or something?

Just installed a set of winter tires on 15 inch wheels!

Wheels: 15X6.5 MOTEGI RACING MR116 BLK RED ST
Tires: 185/60R-15 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK WS80 SL

The TPMS sensors are showing a fault probably because of the different wheel size. I saw that there was a TPMS reset procedure in the owner's manual, will this remove the warning light in my dashboard?

Attachments

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Just installed a set of winter tires on 15 inch wheels!

Wheels: 15X6.5 MOTEGI RACING MR116 BLK RED ST
Tires: 185/60R-15 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK WS80 SL

The TPMS sensors are showing a fault probably because of the different wheel size. I saw that there was a TPMS reset procedure in the owner's manual, will this remove the warning light in my dashboard?
Yes, you'll need to go through the TPMS training to get rid of the warning light. What lug nuts did you use? I bought the same wheels and found the OEM lug nuts don't fit.

Yes, you'll need to go through the TPMS training to get rid of the warning light. What lug nuts did you use? I bought the same wheels and found the OEM lug nuts don't fit.
I bought them through TireRack and they came with lug nuts that fit. Not sure what kind they are specifically.

I just got 15" steel wheels and Blizzaks from TireRack, they mounted balanced and shipped for just under 600. Can't beat that with a stick. Looks wonky, drives very different, but gets the job done until I'm back on summers and tearing it up.

I'm running 16X7 Sparcos and Conti Viking Contacts. No deep snow use yet but they work well on snowy and icy roads. Bonus is the car rides WAY better with more sidewall and less unsprung weight.