Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Found and ordered some sequential / dynamic LED mirror turn signal blinkers

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #61
Try to grab the tab from the underside, that’s where you will have room to fit something in there. You’ll see once you get the first one out, there’s only one area that you can pry, everything else is flat and you cannot get anything else in there. Once I got the first one done the second one went really quick. It’s just a pain in the butt but keep at it. That Ukrainian guy in the video above doesn’t actually show how to do it on the video he just shows you the aftermath which tells us that he probably spent a while getting it off because it just takes patience. Same with the tabs, he just pushes a screwdriver in there and it pops off in five seconds but in reality you have to work at a little bit. I suspect he got it off and then gently placed it back on to make it look quick for the video.
OK, so it's the one tab cover itself I need to get off, I can tell it will be really straight forward after that, I'll try to grab it from the bottom to pop it off, and I won't bother putting it back on either...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Meh, the stupid tab cover didn't want to come off too easily so I'm going to try again once I'm off work... already spent 5 minutes just trying to get that one off so it's not gonna be a simple lunch hour job for me. Hell, I already scratched my outer mirror with the spudger before I remembered I had to even get the tab cover off first. I just hate being the one who takes 2-3x as long as everyone else does to do their mods... I mean, I'm a smart enough guy and thought I was coordinated in general but I guess I have much poorer than average hand/finger coordination, LOL.
Posted about my experiences with the side mirror covers here...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/side-mirror-led-fitment.22251/post-380550
Personally didn't have much issue with the single latch locks on each side, but a pick with a hook on it should help too.
Did reinstall the lock on driver/passenger side, just to preclude the possibility of seeing my side mirror fly apart driving headlong into a wind storm at highway speed.

EDIT: I take that back. I did have trouble with one side but that was merely because the sun was in my eyes. After a few minutes of fooling with it, I literally hopped in the car and parked facing the opposite direction to avoid the sun. Use a head-mounted light if you have one. That might help you see what you're after.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #63
Posted about my experiences with the side mirror covers here...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/side-mirror-led-fitment.22251/post-380550
Personally didn't have much issue with the single latch locks on each side, but a pick with a hook on it should help too.
Did reinstall the lock on driver/passenger side, just to preclude the possibility of seeing my side mirror fly apart driving headlong into a wind storm at highway speed.

EDIT: I take that back. I did have trouble with one side but that was merely because the sun was in my eyes. After a few minutes of fooling with it, I literally hopped in the car and parked facing the opposite direction to avoid the sun. Use a head-mounted light if you have one. That might help you see what you're after.
Of course, I'm having troubles with it, might even have to remove the actual mirror panel... I'm gonna break out my tiny screwdriver set and see if I can hook that lock tab, but it's been just frustrating so far, a good 30 mins with zero progress, ugh... Yes, I have a headband LED light, visibility isn't the issue, popping off that stupid freaking lock tab is! LOL

jeff

2000 Post Club
Of course, I'm having troubles with it, might even have to remove the actual mirror panel... I'm gonna break out my tiny screwdriver set and see if I can hook that lock tab, but it's been just frustrating so far, a good 30 mins with zero progress, ugh... Yes, I have a headband LED light, visibility isn't the issue, popping off that stupid freaking lock tab is! LOL
Holler at me if you want to Facetime sometime today or this weekend, I can show you how I was able to get it, seeing it in person might help, it is a bit tricky and this is one of those things where people say/make it look easy but it really is tricky. If you have a tool that hooks try to grab one side, pull it out a little, then grab the other side, repeat, then back to the first side. It's wedged in tight so you have to work at it.

Keep at it, stuff like this is frustrating but persistence will pay off.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #65
Holler at me if you want to Facetime sometime today or this weekend, I can show you how I was able to get it, seeing it in person might help, it is a bit tricky and this is one of those things where people say/make it look easy but it really is tricky. If you have a tool that hooks try to grab one side, pull it out a little, then grab the other side, repeat, then back to the first side. It's wedged in tight so you have to work at it.

Keep at it, stuff like this is frustrating but persistence will pay off.
Yep, I need a hook tool looks like, I'll try my mini screw driver set... I'll let you know if I need any help, but I have friends with more tools than me available this weekend too, I appreciate all your help!

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Yep, I need a hook tool looks like, I'll try my mini screw driver set... I'll let you know if I need any help, but I have friends with more tools than me available this weekend too, I appreciate all your help!
I used a hooked pick I bought at Harbor Freight to pull the little lock off the tab. Once you remove it, the tabs can be pried open one by one with a small flat blade. It’s a pain the first time but subsequent removal is easier.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #67
I used a hooked pick I bought at Harbor Freight to pull the little lock off the tab. Once you remove it, the tabs can be pried open one by one with a small flat blade. It’s a pain the first time but subsequent removal is easier.
Yeah, I'm just gonna go get this I think.... Will be helpful to have going forward too.
1575674780224.png

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #72
Yea from 245, i got morimoto 2 stroke h7s for them and morimoto led fogs with yellow beams
Great combo my man, that's gonna be great! I had those 2stroke 2.0 in H11 in my stock reflector housing and they were good, especially nice and white instead of blue... but, they overwhelmed the reflectors a bit and gave me distracting kaleidoscope effect so I sold them and used TechMax mini until I got my Euro's... Now, in projectors it's different, Katana are the Champs there at less than $50 and excellent quality, they are even a little brighter than the 2stroke 2.0 in H7 for projector, but you can't beat how nice and clean white the Morimoto's are! In for pics when it's all set up!

Great combo my man, that's gonna be great! I had those 2stroke 2.0 in H11 in my stock reflector housing and they were good, especially nice and white instead of blue... but, they overwhelmed the reflectors a bit and gave me distracting kaleidoscope effect so I sold them and used TechMax mini until I got my Euro's... Now, in projectors it's different, Katana are the Champs there at less than $50 and excellent quality, they are even a little brighter than the 2stroke 2.0 in H7 for projector, but you can't beat how nice and clean white the Morimoto's are! In for pics when it's all set up!
Great info!.. not gonna lie ive been looking at the kitanas even with the stock housings.. my fancy side like that the bronze morimoto housings matched my rims.. i did however order h1 highs instead of h7 so ive got an exchange in my near future

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #74
Great info!.. not gonna lie ive been looking at the kitanas even with the stock housings.. my fancy side like that the bronze morimoto housings matched my rims.. i did however order h1 highs instead of h7 so ive got an exchange in my near future
Not sure what you mean, the Euro's take the same H1 for high beam as the factory reflector low beams, you just need (search term) "2013 Ford Focus H1 bulb holders" to mount H1 LED's in either housing.

Not sure what you mean, the Euro's take the same H1 for high beam as the factory reflector low beams, you just need (search term) "2013 Ford Focus H1 bulb holders" to mount H1 LED's in either housing.
Poor wording on my part. Yea i meant to order the h7s for the projector, but accidentally ordered the h1.. got them confused. Retrofit not exactly in a rush to respond

yea he even used the same photos that were on aliauto lol.. i got no problem with the wait, i ordered friday already got shipping conf.

haste

1000 Post Club
Just made a short video of removing and reinstalling the locking tab without removing the mirror. Torch and a straight pic for reinstallation. I did not use the plastic pry bar that came with the indicators, just a flathead screw driver, a curved pick and a straight pic. No video of me using the torch to heat the pick and sticking it into the locking tab, was a little hard holding the camera.

P1040341.JPG

P1040342.JPG