Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A hint of things to come

antarctica24

So, I thought I would share part of where I am going with this. The ring is made of 6061 billet aluminum. Why? Just because. Nothing like mounting a speaker to a solid surface and if you have to mate it to a solid surface why not make it pretty.

The sub, a Morel Ultimo 2 ohm. This thing comes with a 5" voice coil and is capable of handing 1000 watts normal load and 3000 watts peak. This is how you build a subwoofer. For those who are curious this is a sound quality subwoofer.

So in my setup there are two of these. Normally under a 2 ohm load, this would double the output of the amp, but the amp is configured in a way that it puts out a 4 ohm load worth of power, even when it sees a 2 ohm load. Each of these will receive 500 watts of 4 volts worth of signal at 14.4 volts of power. Yes I am adding weight, but I am also removing the full size spare tire. So with the box, it will not quite equal out, but it will be within 50 lbs.

05182016-iphone-speaker-001.jpg
05182016-iphone-speaker-002.jpg
05182016-iphone-speaker-003.jpg
05182016-iphone-speaker-004.jpg
05182016-iphone-speaker-005.jpg

That's a bitchen sub, but. A bit confused about your amp. Kinda a general statement. What amp you gonna be using?

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #3
That's a bitchen sub, but. A bit confused about your amp. Kinda a general statement. What amp you gonna be using?

Sorry about that (2) alpine pdx 9v's 100x4 and 500x1 each. This is A very efficient amp on power draw while producing one of if not the cleanest amps on the market with a signal to noise ratio of 122db. And it is dinky small. This amp produces that power whether it sees a 4 ohm or 2 ohm load. One is for the left side of my system and the other is for the right side.

http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-v9

They retail for about 900.00 but you can get them at sonicelectronics for about 450.00. I see no need to pay full retail when you don't have too, right?

Ahhhh so very similar to the JL Audio slash amps. I dunno if I have ever had an amp that "doubled" when going from a 4ohm load to a 2ohm load but they do generally produce more power

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #6
Are these alpine pdx amps made in China? Any pics of the boards?
That's a real good question I thought all of their amps were made in China. Some of the guys here in the us are designing their stuff here but sending them over there to build. Is alpine making stuff in Hong Kong again?

That's a real good question I thought all of their amps were made in China. Some of the guys here in the us are designing their stuff here but sending them over there to build. Is alpine making stuff in Hong Kong again?
If I had to guess, I'd bet they are probably made in China but I can't say that is 100% accurate. When I was big in the audio scene it was awesome to see things hand built right here in the US with circuit boards looking like works of art and all components being the highest quality you can possibly find. Made me proud to sell such equipment, help in designing and testing, along with offering tech support. Seems now that is all a thing of the past :(. Sorry for me going left on this one, my passion for car audio is still there but just can't let go of the past lol.

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #8
If I had to guess, I'd bet they are probably made in China but I can't say that is 100% accurate. When I was big in the audio scene it was awesome to see things hand built right here in the US with circuit boards looking like works of art and all components being the highest quality you can possibly find. Made me proud to sell such equipment, help in designing and testing, along with offering tech support. Seems now that is all a thing of the past :(. Sorry for me going left on this one, my passion for car audio is still there but just can't let go of the past lol.
No no it's all good I know exactly what you mean. Guys used to take the heat sinks off and put a piece of plexiglass to show them off. My fav was that 10,000 audison amp. Not made here but man that was hot. Alpine and their class a and ads and those were made here at first.

No no it's all good I know exactly what you mean. Guys used to take the heat sinks off and put a piece of plexiglass to show them off. My fav was that 10,000 audison amp. Not made here but man that was hot. Alpine and their class a and ads and those were made here at first.
Plus US made amps would hold their value as well. It was nice selling my old Linear Power amps for what I paid, and in some cases for more. [emoji1]

I remember when I worked at a shop as installer (before going into business for myself) and one of the guys at Phoenix Gold called and asked to speak with me. I was putting together at the time a demo car (really just wanted free stuff lol) and thought that was the reason for the phone call. Little did I know it was even better than that! He tells me "hey Don we have a really limited amount of parts to put together some MS series amps, you interest?". Of course I said yes and he then explained that they would make as many as they could of the models they had parts for and sell them to dealers. I grabbed a ms1000ta which was a straight beast of a 4 Ch which bench tested at nearly 275wx4 into 4 ohms! Now I've had many surf board status amps in my day, mostly from us amps when they where made in FL but this ms1000 was just a master piece underneath! I ran a full 3 way set from cdt audio at the time which donated a set of the new ES-07 series 3 way comps along with a set of 12's from TC Sounds (actually from Mike at sound splinter but they where TC drivers, my favorite!). A massive 275x2 RMs to the front stage and over 1k RMs to the subs all in an 02 civic si hatch! Ahhh the memories :). Funniest part is I got that amp for $700 and when I sold it I got $2k for it! If I could give that $2k back for that amp I would in a heart beat :(.

Audison makes excellent amps and still do to this day. My favorite amps where us amps, brax, pg ms series, and butler tube driver. Favorite subs, TC sounds as I just love the way they sound. For speakers I don't have a favorite cause I've heard many that impressed me. From rainbow to cdt to scan speak to seas, so many out there that are nice. Like I always use to say when it comes to speakers, there is no best! Only ones personal preference in sound can tell them what is the best.

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #11
I remember when I worked at a shop as installer (before going into business for myself) and one of the guys at Phoenix Gold called and asked to speak with me. I was putting together at the time a demo car (really just wanted free stuff lol) and thought that was the reason for the phone call. Little did I know it was even better than that! He tells me "hey Don we have a really limited amount of parts to put together some MS series amps, you interest?". Of course I said yes and he then explained that they would make as many as they could of the models they had parts for and sell them to dealers. I grabbed a ms1000ta which was a straight beast of a 4 Ch which bench tested at nearly 275wx4 into 4 ohms! Now I've had many surf board status amps in my day, mostly from us amps when they where made in FL but this ms1000 was just a master piece underneath! I ran a full 3 way set from cdt audio at the time which donated a set of the new ES-07 series 3 way comps along with a set of 12's from TC Sounds (actually from Mike at sound splinter but they where TC drivers, my favorite!). A massive 275x2 RMs to the front stage and over 1k RMs to the subs all in an 02 civic si hatch! Ahhh the memories :). Funniest part is I got that amp for $700 and when I sold it I got $2k for it! If I could give that $2k back for that amp I would in a heart beat :(.

Audison makes excellent amps and still do to this day. My favorite amps where us amps, brax, pg ms series, and butler tube driver. Favorite subs, TC sounds as I just love the way they sound. For speakers I don't have a favorite cause I've heard many that impressed me. From rainbow to cdt to scan speak to seas, so many out there that are nice. Like I always use to say when it comes to speakers, there is no best! Only ones personal preference in sound can tell them what is the best.
I remember the pg amp. It was a piece of art. Here here on everything else you said I agree completely. It is such a subjective thing and a very personal thing. I have never used morel before but have heard enough systems with morel to know. One can only hope.