Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turn Up the Volume! Mishimoto's Fiesta ST Cat-Back Exhaust Development

mishimoto1

As many of you are aware, here at Mishimoto we have been going Fiesta crazy developing various Fiesta ST parts, including;

Up next is something that the team here has been very eager to start development on, Fiesta ST Cat-Back Exhaust! We are excited to let you in on all of the details of the development of our first prototype. As with any exhaust project, we are shooting for improvement in flow over stock as well as a great overall tone that is drone-free. Check out the details and let us know how we did!

Stock Component

To begin, we gave the Fiesta ST?s stock exhaust setup a once-over to see what we were working with. While it is not terrible, we do see some room for improvements. The stock exhaust has two mufflers one rather large with small dual tips exiting the back of the Fiesta, and the other farther forward closest to the downpipe. Check out some photos of the stock exhaust.

Stock Fiesta ST Exhaust

The first step was to remove the stock exhaust, which was quite a chore thanks to the gargantuan block-shaped rear muffler. This required disconnecting the suspension from the rear axle (as you can see in some later shots) to avoid cutting the exhaust.

Stock Fiesta ST Exhaust

After we finished wrestling with this beast, we measured our trophy and began to piece together our version of the Fiesta ST exhaust.

Fitting the Prototype
To ensure excellent fitment we began with the most important components of the exhaust: the flange that connects our exhaust to the flex pipe of the Fiesta, and the muffler placement tucked into the rear portion of the car.

Fitting the front portion of the Fiesta ST Exhaust

Fitting the single rear muffler of the Fiesta ST Exhaust

From there we snaked the exhaust using various bends along the belly of the Fiesta ST. Based on the path of this exhaust and for ease of installation, we decided to use a three-piece design for the prototype. Our first prototype will feature a single-exit muffler set-up that is much smaller than the stock unit. Further testing after our first prototype is complete will let us know whether this design is a home run or if it is back to the drawing board for the Fiesta ST exhaust.

Fiesta ST Exhaust pieced together

Rear view of the Fiesta ST Exhaust test-fitted

Once we were certain of the fitment, the exhaust was dismantled and tack-welded back together so the three pieces could be test-fitted again.

Tack-welding a portion of the Fiesta ST Exhaust

Angle the exhaust will sit in relation to other Fiesta ST parts

Rear portion of the Fiesta ST exhaust tack-welded together

We wanted to make sure that these excellent looking exhaust tips could be seen peeking out of the bumper but ensure that they do not protrude too far.

Fiesta ST Exhaust exiting the bumper

Entire Fiesta ST Exhaust assembled

After the second test fit, it was time to fabricate exhaust hangers that were cut and bent from stock steel. Our exhaust will utilize the stock hanger location for ease of installation. The hangers were test-fitted with couplers and then tacked to their final spots on the exhaust.

Test-fitting hangars for the Fiesta ST Exhaust

Underneath view of hanger fitment for the Fiesta ST Exhaust

Welding Fiesta ST parts together

Creating the Finalized Prototype

Finally, after all the fitting and cutting and fitting again, it was time to weld together the prototype for more extensive testing. It is important that all of the welds are complete, as any leak in the exhaust piping could skew our sound and performance results. We have just the man for the job.

Welding Fiesta ST parts

Weld on the Fiesta ST Exhaust flange

Final welds on the rear portion of the Fiesta St Exhaust

Here are some shots of the final prototype welded together and installed on the Fiesta ST. We think the dual tips look pretty mean! Check them out below.

Final fitment of the Fiesta ST Exhaust

Fiesta ST Exhaust tips exiting the bumper

Coming Up!

This poor Fiesta has been under the knife for weeks. Most of its face was removed (as you may have seen in the Fiesta ST Performance Aluminum Radiator thread), the cowl was removed so we could get a better look at the downpipe, and the rear axle was dropped for exhaust fitment. I am happy to report that our Fiesta ST is nearly back together in preparation for some exhaust testing!

Thanks for reading!
-Sara

Looks pretty good. Is that a true 3" exhaust? I cant tell if it's 2.5" or 3" lol

haste

1000 Post Club
Awesome. I can't wait to see all these parts on one car!

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Always good to have more exhaust system options....

TheStig

Mishimoto is going all in on our little car, love it! Keep up the good work.

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #15
Sweet !!! Loving more exhaust options!!
You guys are moving at such amazing speeds and these threads are such good reads.[clap]
Awesome. I can't wait to see all these parts on one car!
Always good to have more exhaust system options....
beautiful exhaust great work
Mishimoto is going all in on our little car, love it! Keep up the good work.
Thank you for the kind words! This little fiesta should be quite the car when we are finished with it!
-Sara

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #16
Why does everyone do a slash tip for the exhaust
Not a fan of the ol slash tip?

Very nice. Yes, is it going to be 2.5" or 3"?
Looks pretty good. Is that a true 3" exhaust? I cant tell if it's 2.5" or 3" lol
Our first prototype is a 2.5" which we will most likely keep as long as our data doesn't show otherwise.

Give us an option for a resonator!
Thanks for the feedback! We are in the process of testing our first prototype currently. Once we have the results from the dyno as well as the road testing we will adjust accordingly, and yes a resonator is still on the table.
-Sara

GAbOS

Thanks, Sara! I have Mishi products on my e30 BMW and am following all of your Fiesta products. ;)

aha! a exhaust that might clear a receiver hitch without banging. fwiw the hitch has two purposes > a recovery point (required at many events) and a way to carry stuff for same events. thanks Mishimoto.....boyracer

GAbOS

I'm sure Mishi and others have done back pressure tests but I can't see 3" have a huge benefit on a 1.6l.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I think rolled, polished tips would look better, even if they were offered as an option. 300 series stainless steel components is a must. Please make sure this system doesn't drone, and that the exhaust tips are far away from the rear bumper so as not to burn the bumper opening. Most of us already have aftermarket exhausts, so the Cobb and FSWERKs cat back exhausts are the ones to beat.I think its great you guys are making lots of parts for the FiST. Keep up the good work.[wiggle]